As part of our Solution Strategy©,
AVS assists property owners and managers in identifying and pursuing opportunities to minimize property taxes through the following services, among others:
- Portfolio Acquisition: Unlike the purchase of a single property, the acquisition of a portfolio of properties, often located in multiple counties or states, typically includes assets that are not subject to property taxes. AVS has developed effective techniques to identify these assets, quantify their values and develop a compelling strategy for negotiations with the Assessor. The frequent result: a new assessed value that is lower than the aggregate portfolio purchase price.
- Pro-active Portfolio Monitoring: AVS helps Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) and other entities with large or diverse holdings monitor their entire portfolio to minimize overall property tax liability, a significant annual operating expense. Our strategic monitoring process allows our clients to systematically identify and manage unfavorable valuation gaps and to assure their investors and tenants that operating costs are minimized.
- Assessment Appeals: AVS monitors market trends in sales prices, construction costs, rental and vacancy rates, operating expenses and other factors affecting valuation. Changes in these market elements often cause the assessed value of a property to exceed its current market value; in certain instances, the price of a recently acquired property can exceed its fair market value under applicable property tax laws. AVS employs the same methodology used by the affected Assessor and detailed current market data to document the value "gap." Our strategic alliances enable AVS to manage dispute resolution from our initial analysis through Assessor negotiations and administrative hearings, and when required, to coordinate legal action with our affiliated firm of experienced property tax attorneys.
- Possessory Interest Valuations: Possessory interest assessments in California are on the rise and frequently are over-valued. AVS has extensive experience in successfully formulating market values for complex possessory interests.
- Change of Ownership Analysis: AVS has assisted many clients in avoiding or contesting reassessments under Prop. 13 through our extensive knowledge of the statutes and regulations governing changes in ownership. Given the complex nature of ownership structuring and the nuances of California law, this is an area of analysis frequently overlooked by other property tax consultants.
- Exemption Identification: California provides a total or partial exemption from property taxes for a wide variety of owners/occupants, as well as for certain types of improvements to real property. AVS is well-versed in these exemptions and therefore constantly seeks to identify those client situations where an exemption may be available.
- Avoidance of Double Assessments: Clients with extensive holdings often inadvertently provide information to the Assessor in a manner which results in assessments on both the secured and unsecured rolls. AVS has identified and has successfully rectified these double assessments for a number of clients, resulting in substantial tax refunds.
- Documentary Transfer Taxes: Similar to property taxes, but subject to a different set of regulations,transfer taxes have become a significant cost
of transferring real property, especially in the Bay Area and Los Angeles. We assist clients in determining if transfer taxes, in fact, are owed and the maximum amount
for which they are liable.
AVS offers flexible fee arrangements. Whether you prefer hourly charges, a fixed fee or a contingency arrangement, we are prepared to establish a fee structure that maximizes your resulting net tax benefit.